Democracy Newsline NewspaperDemocracy Newsline Newspaper
  • Home
  • Politics
    Politics
    Show More
    Top News
    In Rivers, Asíwájú Tinubu harps on unity, non-violence
    4 years ago
    Kogi Guber: Olayinka Braimoh Popularity Soars Ahead of other candidates  
    3 years ago
    Labour Party Dismisses Report of Arrest of National Chairman
    3 years ago
    Latest News
    NDC backs ‘Mama Amanda’s’ 2027 FCT Senate bid, says Abuja deserves better representation
    3 weeks ago
    THE THRONE MUST NEVER BECOME A POLITICAL PLATFORM
    2 months ago
    APC Stakeholders Raise Alarm Over Alleged Compromise of Party Structures, Call on Chief Fagbemi to Act with Neutrality
    3 months ago
    Hon. Tahir Suleiman Abdulwahab Obtains Nomination Forms, Seeks Support Ahead of ADC Primaries
    3 months ago
  • Technology
    TechnologyShow More
    Key Takeaways from the Kogi Dialogue Marking Governor Ododo’s First Year in Office
    2 years ago
    Bala Wunti in the News Again
    2 years ago
    Dangote Refinery Slashes Ex-Depot Petrol Price to N890 Per Litre
    2 years ago
    Ajaokuta LNG Plants Will Position Kogi as a Key Player in Nigeria’s Energy Sector – Governor Ododo
    2 years ago
    Ughievwen Monarch Commends Tinubu for Approval of New 10,000 bpd Refinery in Imode
    2 years ago
  • Community Reports
  • Education
  • News
  • Security
  • Economics
  • International
  • Opinion
  • Aviation
Reading: Public Condemns Polytechnic Authorities Over Disruption of NYSC Camp Operations in Kwara
Share
Notification Show More
Latest News
Federal Fire Service Boss, CG Olumode Adeyemi Samuel Honoured for Commitment to Safety and Emergency Response
News
APC Clears Ebonyi LG elections
News
When Tears Become Contraband: Ijumu LG Chairman’s Desperate Ban
News
PROF. K.I.T. ENIOLA, VC KOGI STATE UNIVERSITY KABBA, BAGS DEMOCRACY NEWSLINE TERTIARY INSTITUTION EXCELLENT LEADERSHIP AWARD 2026
News
PDP Candidate for Kabba Bunu State Constituency 1, Hon. Oluwakayode Eseyin Hails Barrister Segun Dar as “Gold Standard for Leadership” in Kabba-Bunu on his birthday 
News
Aa
Democracy Newsline NewspaperDemocracy Newsline Newspaper
Aa
  • Economics
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Science
  • Technology
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Technology
  • Community Reports
  • Education
  • News
  • Security
  • Economics
  • International
  • Opinion
  • Aviation
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
  • Advertise
© 2023 Democracy Newsline All Rights Reserved.
Democracy Newsline Newspaper > News > News > Public Condemns Polytechnic Authorities Over Disruption of NYSC Camp Operations in Kwara
News

Public Condemns Polytechnic Authorities Over Disruption of NYSC Camp Operations in Kwara

Democracy Newsline
Last updated: 2026/01/21 at 3:39 PM
Democracy Newsline 7 months ago
Share
SHARE

Public Condemns Polytechnic Authorities Over Disruption of NYSC Camp Operations in Kwara

KEHINDE AKINPELU, ILORIN

The actions of officials of Kwara State Polytechnic, Ilorin, in disrupting access to facilities being used for the National Youth Service Corps, NYSC, orientation camp have continued to attract widespread public condemnation.

The Kwara State Government had earlier approved the temporary use of part of the polytechnic campus as an NYSC orientation camp due to prevailing security challenges in the state. The facility, which had been abandoned for several years and later renovated by the state government, has now been used for the orientation exercise on more than three occasions.

- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image

Tension reportedly erupted on Tuesday when access to the facility was blocked following a protest involving students who were said to be unaware of the broader circumstances surrounding the camp’s continued use. Camping activities were temporarily disrupted as a result.

In some quarters, allegations have emerged that senior officials of the institution, including the Rector and the Chief Security Officer, are opposed to the state government’s directive to release the facility for the orientation course. Although the institution had initially remained silent, it later issued a press release explaining its position.

In the statement dated 20 January 2026 and signed by the Acting Registrar, AbdulHafis Amin, the management of Kwara State Polytechnic said the institution was designated as a temporary NYSC camp because of security concerns in the state.

The management noted that during the first and second orientation exercises at the facility, students were either on break or had not fully resumed. However, it stated that students were fully in session during the current exercise.

To manage the situation and prevent a breakdown of law and order, the management said it granted students a three-week break effective Monday, 19 January 2026, to facilitate the smooth conduct of the orientation course. It added that some students reacted negatively to the directive, leading to tension that required police intervention.

According to the release, the police initially attempted to disperse the crowd at the main gate of the polytechnic, but some officers allegedly threw tear gas canisters into the campus, including student hostels. The action reportedly affected several students and staff, including the institution’s Chief Security Officer who was said to have sustained injuries.

The statement further disclosed that the Executive Governor of Kwara State, Mallam AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq, subsequently directed the closure of the polytechnic to ensure the safety of lives and property. The management appealed to students, staff and stakeholders to remain calm as discussions continue with relevant authorities to resolve the matter.

However, the management’s explanation has continued to draw criticism from members of the public and civil society groups. Some stakeholders described the press release as belated and an afterthought aimed at damage control.

Critics argued that the three-week orientation course would not have significantly disrupted academic activities, noting that students’ engagement areas are located far from the NYSC camp venue and that clear demarcations exist between both facilities.

They also stressed that the governor, as the chief security officer of the state, issued the directive in the interest of public safety and that it should have been complied with fully by the institution’s principal officers.

Stakeholders further criticized what they described as an attempt to undermine a proactive security measure taken to protect young Nigerian graduates. They argued that rather than support the government’s effort to safeguard corps members, the actions of the institution’s leadership created avoidable tension and risk.

Civil society groups have called on the polytechnic management to align with the state government’s decision and prioritize the welfare and safety of corps members, noting that the NYSC scheme remains a national asset that should not be politicized or subjected to internal institutional disputes.

They also urged the Kwara State Government to engage the institution’s leadership decisively to prevent a recurrence and ensure that future orientation exercises are not disrupted..

 

(DEMOCRACY NEWSLINE NEWSPAPER, JANUARY 21ST 2026)

You Might Also Like

Federal Fire Service Boss, CG Olumode Adeyemi Samuel Honoured for Commitment to Safety and Emergency Response

APC Clears Ebonyi LG elections

When Tears Become Contraband: Ijumu LG Chairman’s Desperate Ban

PROF. K.I.T. ENIOLA, VC KOGI STATE UNIVERSITY KABBA, BAGS DEMOCRACY NEWSLINE TERTIARY INSTITUTION EXCELLENT LEADERSHIP AWARD 2026

PDP Candidate for Kabba Bunu State Constituency 1, Hon. Oluwakayode Eseyin Hails Barrister Segun Dar as “Gold Standard for Leadership” in Kabba-Bunu on his birthday 

TAGGED: Public Condemns Polytechnic Authorities Over Disruption of NYSC Camp Operations in Kwara
Democracy Newsline January 21, 2026
Share this Article
Facebook Twitter Whatsapp Whatsapp Telegram Email
Previous Article Prince Abubakar Audu University, Anyigba Honours Asiwaju Prince Olatunji Olusoji with Honorary Doctorate Degree
Next Article Nasarawa State ADC Chairman, Godwin Alaku Suspended By TLT, Disciplinary Team Constituted.
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

about us

Democracy Newsline Newspaper is a Nigerian news and current affairs publication committed to keeping readers informed with relevant, timely, and credible information on events and issues that matter to society.

  • Home
  • About Us
  • News
  • Correction Policy
  • Editorial Policy
  • Terms and Conditions
  • Disclaimer
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us

Recent Posts

  • Federal Fire Service Boss, CG Olumode Adeyemi Samuel Honoured for Commitment to Safety and Emergency Response
  • APC Clears Ebonyi LG elections

© Democracy Newsline Newspaper. Published by Macbihem Venture Limited. All Rights Reserved.

Removed from reading list

Undo
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?