Bandits Abduct Kebbi High Court Judge, Security Operatives Launch Rescue Mission.
By Bala Salihu Dawakin Kudu
Democracy Newsline Northern Bureau Chief
July 26, 2026.
BIRNIN KEBBI — Armed men suspected to be bandits have abducted a Kebbi State High Court Judge, Justice Faruku Hassan Bunza, in a late-night attack on his residence along Zogirma Road in Bunza Local Government Area of Kebbi State.
According to reliable sources, the incident occurred at about 12:00 a.m. in the early hours of Sunday, shortly after the judge returned home from an official trip to Sokoto State.
Eyewitnesses said the heavily armed assailants stormed the residence, firing sporadically into the air to scare residents before whisking the judge away to an unknown destination.Family members and other occupants of the house were reportedly left unharmed.
A resident of the area, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the attackers operated for several minutes without resistance before fleeing.
“He had just returned from Sokoto when the gunmen invaded his residence. They fired several shots into the air and took him away. Thankfully, no member of the family was injured,” the source said.
The incident was immediately reported to security agencies and the leadership of the Kebbi State High Court.
Confirming the abduction, the Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) of the Kebbi State Police Command, SP Bashir Usman, said the command had launched a coordinated rescue operation.
“I can confirm that Hon. Justice Faruku Hassan Bunza was abducted from his residence in Bunza around midnight,” the police spokesman stated.
According to him, the Commissioner of Police, CP Umar Muhammad Hadejia, swiftly mobilized tactical units, intelligence officers, and other specialized security personnel to track down the kidnappers and secure the judge’s safe release.
“Our personnel are currently combing identified locations, including forest hideouts and other suspected routes used by criminal elements. Every available resource is being deployed to ensure that the judge is rescued alive and unharmed,” he added.
.
A senior official of the Kebbi State High Court, who requested anonymity because he was not authorized to speak publicly, described the incident as a deeply disturbing attack on the judiciary.
“This is a painful moment for the judiciary in Kebbi State. The abduction of one of our judges from his residence is a serious concern. We are praying for his safe return and cooperating fully with security agencies,” the official said.
He disclosed that the management of the High Court had already met with heads of security agencies in the state to review the situation and strengthen efforts toward securing the judge’s immediate release.
As of the time of filing this report, no individual or criminal group had claimed responsibility for the abduction, and authorities had not disclosed whether any contact had been made with the kidnappers.
The incident has heightened concerns over the worsening security situation in parts of northwestern Nigeria, where banditry, kidnapping for ransom, and attacks on rural communities continue to pose significant challenges despite ongoing military and police operations.
Security analysts note that the abduction of a serving High Court judge represents a troubling escalation in attacks targeting senior public officials and institutions of government. They warn that such incidents could undermine public confidence in the justice system and further expose the security vulnerabilities facing judicial officers.
Residents of Bunza and neighboring communities have appealed to security agencies to intensify surveillance and operations across the area to prevent further attacks and ensure the safe rescue of the abducted judge.
Meanwhile, legal practitioners, civil society organizations, and concerned citizens have begun calling for enhanced security protection for judicial officers across the country, stressing that judges play a critical role in safeguarding the rule of law and should not become targets of criminal violence.
Investigations into the incident are ongoing.
(DEMOCRACY NEWSLINE NEWSPAPER 27TH JULY)


